Tuesday 20 October 2009

getting on...

interesting thing happened yesterday. I was in the large lecture theater for the working in bioscience module. A rather 'bling' looking bird sat down next to me and we chatted about this and that (you know the usual what course are you in, where do you live, blah blah...) turns out she's moved here to study Biomedical sciences because her husband is going to uni in london and they are lucky enough to have a flat of their own in golder's green. Very lucky indeed.

So, she then turns to me and says ' you seem a lot older than the rest of us'

'Yeah I'm ancient' I said upon which she asked my my age and I answered.

'oh that's not too bad' she said as if to say 'well done for making it that far' or 'you look a lot older'.

Wait it gets worse.

Later on she asked my why Ive decided to go to university now. (as if to say what on earth has prompted you to get educated just before you die of old age)

I found this hysterical for several reasons. Firstly because I'm certainly not the oldest person there, nowhere near. Also because in my mind, and this is something I strongly believe, 18 is too young to go to uni! And i might add if my american friend is reading it is certainly too young to get married.

Now I'm not one for slagging off people on my blog so this is just an anecdote from my amazing London life. An observation if you may.

Oh and that's another thing I love about London; you can meet an individual one day and then never see them again. If you are lucky...;)

4 comments:

Mamsen said...

Ja kära du. Jag och min engelska, jag trodde till en början först att det var en fågel du satt och pratade med :-) papegoja kanske. Ja, ja räds inte för ålderdomen :-)Kramisar

emma-louise emery said...

trodde du att jag hade blivit helt koko eller?;)

Mamsen said...

Men vet ju aldrig vad som händer over there :-)

Anonymous said...

Jag trodde också du satt och pratade med en fågel..... men jag skyller på jetleg :)
Har bestämmt att det tyvärr blir för dyrt just nu med ett London besök :( så vi får skjuta det på framtiden!
Kram